Jun 27, 2012

ARTICLE: Engaging Underperforming Students

Ten Tips for Engaging Underperforming Students
LINK: edutopia

I watched the How to Engage Underperforming Students video again. It's packed full of essential ideas that I'm going to consider when writing my lessons. Part of my homework this summer was to create a lesson plan... plan. I've gotten lazy and tried to tell myself that, with years of experience, I don't need to spend lots of time on my plans. With ESL objectives, differentiated instruction, G/T students, technology skills, learning styles, and a truncated year with students testing at the end of March, every minute counts and I need to prepare complete plans.

At Cochrane Collegiate Academy, in Charlotte, North Carolina, the teachers include ten non-negotiables in their plans. Visit the site to read explanations.
 
1. Essential Question
2. Activating Strategy
3. Relevant Vocabulary
4. Limited Lecture
5. Graphic Organizer
6. Student Movement
7. Higher Order Thinking Questions
8. Summarize
9. Rigorous
10. Student Centered

No comments:

Post a Comment