Jul 14, 2011

BOOK: Purpose

I don't want to bore people on facebook with my ramblings about education, so I decided to start this blog. It's for educators, parents, and anyone who want to discuss some school issues. This is the time in the summer that I really start thinking about my classroom, and this blog will help organize my thoughts.

I've read a few books this summer, and it's easy to fall in love and adopt a cute, little "fact." However, after watching Waiting for Superman and reading The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch, I realize that one must be critical of books and movies and articles. Sometimes, we see what we want to see--that's no different for researchers. At the same time, the American school system should not be run by I-thinks. We should be more scientific, more thoughtful in our approach.

In a workshop, years ago, the presenter asked, "Who is the most important part of education?" Many answered, "The students." That was the answer the presenter wanted. I've always disagreed with that. The teacher is the most important part of education. I know there's a lot working against us, but I'm not going to dwell on that. Between the first and last bells, I can accomplish whatever I want. And, this year, I'm treating it as a freebie. The ratings are in place. The test is new. I want to try some new things and take some chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment